Saturday, July 16, 2011

Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most....

Or so the old joke goes. Actually, it is my memory I miss the most. The docs think I suffered a minor stroke when I was in my 40's. All I know is I was driving home, didn't know where I was and could only remember one phone number. I found a phone booth and my friend came and picked me up and took me home. The rest is a fog and 2 years of college just disappeared along with a large number of other memories.
There are a lot of people who think it would really be nice not to remember but it is no fun to have a sort of handle on something and the rest of the sentence is totally missing. That is what it is like. It is just gone.
A group I belong to has been doing a lot of healing work and somehow, the healing bled off to me and last night for the first time my memory began returning. It all started with a pen and everything just returned in brilliant color. I remembered my father's shop in Texas, it's yellow outside, the little yellow flowers that were covered with thorns that grew in the yard in front of it, sitting on a nailed together 2x4 bench packing aircraft parts in thick grease and grease paper.
I had completely forgotten my father planting 2 royal palms in front of our house in Hialeah because he missed the stand we had in front of the house in Cuba. They became known as Rocky's Folly because the palms soon drafted the little house. We don't have large houses in SoFl.
Of course, there was the bad that I remembered and being much older, suddenly a lot of things made sense that previously were mysterious. Hindsight tends to be 20/20.
I awoke this morning with the name of a movie I have been trying to remember for 20 years. At first I thought, no, it can't possibly be. So I got out of bed and checked Amazon.com on my phone and sure enough, the vampire movie with David Carradine was Sundown. I ordered it because he really gave a stellar performance in that cheap movie.
But tonight I remembered something that had totally escaped me for years. I remembered that every evening in Texas we would walk over to this old lady's house. She had a flower garden with vines and 4 O'clocks. They would perfume the air and when we settled down with some iced tea, the hummingbirds would come in flocks. The air was alive with color and these little birds flitting from flower to flower. It was like a faery land. Then as it grew to full dark they would be gone, just like that and a huge cloud of vampire bats would fly over out of their nest in Catholic School Tower to hunt all night in the desert. I understand they now live under the bridges in San Antonio. I remembered sitting on the river and watching the boat parade with every boat covered in flowers and eating tamales from the hand made stands the men would roll by. There were even make your own taco stands which were my favorite. I bet you need a license, inspection and Goddess knows what now to have a tamale stand. Memories are nice.

No comments: