Sunday, May 25, 2014

Got the Modpodge Tacky Blues

Yikes.....I am not ModPodge happy.

The only ModPodge I had handy yesterday was outdoor. Normally I use a hard coat but hey, this would make my clipboard waterproof, right?????
Nope and in addition to that, my clipboard is sticky or tacky depending upon your definition of paper will stick to it and so will your hands.
Is it possible it takes more than the amount of time to dry than the label leads you to believe?
Was my bottle old and too thick?
Did I screw up?
Yup, I screwed up buying it because it turns out only the hard shell ModPodge actually dries without being infinitely tacky or sticky.
This from the Plaid (manufacturer) website:
Hard Coat Mod Podge dries clear with a non-tacky surface. If using Gloss, Matte or Satin Mod Podge apply a clear acrylic sealer to the surface after it has cured 4 weeks.
4 Fricken' WEEKS!!!!
That applies to outdoor Modpodge, too.
You really want to think twice about using this expensive stuff.
I placed a coat of paint over the areas without a design and that worked. Now I am going to spray the whole thing with a coat of quick drying clear something or the other and see if that fixes it. I do not have 4 weeks to wait to fix this.
As far as I can see, the only thing Modpodge is good for is sealing and gluing down prints that would run if you used lacquer directly on them and to build up decoupage instantly but then you have to seal your project and everything, including dust, it going to stick to it. Who has a zero humidity, dust free location to dry your project in for 4 weeks? That would not be me. By-the-way, the one coat of glittery Modpodge I put on a design on a box with 4 years ago is still tacky.
Now to the question of waterproof. Nope, it is water resistance and it is suggested you wipe your project immediately upon getting drops of water on it. So if you used this on outdoor flower pots, get your towel ready for a massive drying effort and if they are clay and unfinished inside the water will leech through and attack your Modpodge from the back of the project where you can't dry it and my guess is, the project will peal off.

Yup, you really want to rethink using this expensive stuff.....

No comments: