Monday, November 1, 2010

It doesn't affect me, why should I care?

Back in the 70's when I was young it was a different world. We had won the right to control our own bodies. We had a choice. My dear adopted mother fought long and hard for that right. I remember her husband at that time saying, "What's it to me? We're to old to get pregnant?"
Then one morning, his son with a promising future and a scholarship to a prestigious collage called. His girl friend was pregnant and he wanted money to "marry" her. That was what you did back then. Single parenthood was not an option. Suddenly, he was pro-choice and I remember my dear "mom" smiling at him and quietly saying, "I thought pro-choice didn't affect you?"
It always affects you, no matter what it is. We are all connected. What diminishes one, diminishes the whole. Take away one right and the rest fall away so very easily in the name of security. Suddenly it is not the enemy you need protection from, but your friends.
I have lived in countries where any move purported to be "against" the government would be reported by your own family. Where people were so scared for their lives, they would turn their children over to the police to avoid jail and torture. Can you imagine not being able to trust your spouse, parent or child? Not being able to voice your thoughts in the privacy of own home? Fearful of a knock on the door in the middle of the night, being drug out and never seen again, or just killed there on your doorstep and NO ONE will even look out a window much let alone help you? I have lived that way and I see it coming to a neighborhood near you: very, very near you.
By-the-way...the true meaning of the Celtic Knot is the interconnectivity of all things.

No comments: