Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Tale of Two People

As some of you know, my dearest friend Martha died a few months back. I did a lot of charity events with Martha. When I would bring one up, her first words would always be: How can I help? Even though she was almost in her 90's I never saw her not stop and help someone who was having trouble getting around and she used a walker and two canes. Her memorial service was RSVP it was so well attended.
Contrast this to a previous "friend" I saw in BJ's a month ago. She hobbled up to hug someone and have you ever seen the look on someone's face when they bite into a lemon? Well, the woman she was hugging had it. I watched as she hobbled out of the store, by herself, and people actually unconsciously leaned away from this person. Except for the fake hug of concern, her face would have cracked if she had smiled. I remember whenever I would mention anything I needed help with, her exact words would be: "What's in it for me?" Then if she found some way to benefit from the charity or government agency, the next sentence would be: "You've got to give back." That translates to: "Give to me."
Now maybe I over reacted, but I am going to leave it up to you to judge and maybe tell me. We went out to a buffet with a new friend of hers. I was getting up to get something off the buffet and the "friend of hers" asked me if I would get her something off the buffet. Naturally, I said, "Sure." I mean, isn't that just common courtesy or am I from another planet? Anyway, later that evening this woman had a total meltdown. "How dare she "treat me like a slave" and "ask me to do her running to the buffet." I was already on my way and even think I said something like, "Anyone want something while I am up?" Anyway, that was the end of the friendship or rather, acquaintanceship, as I concluded that having no table manners went with having no manners at all. The only reason anyone is going to attend her funeral is to make sure she is dead.
What do you think?
I think life is too short to waste it with rude, boorish, selfish people.

No comments: